Update on Fall 2020 from SEVP!!!

Update on Fall 2020 from SEVP!!!

by Debra Damico -
Number of replies: 0

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening all,

First and foremost, I hope that you are all well and safe!!  I have wonderful news to share with you!!!

On Friday, July 24th, there were new guidelines issued for continuing F-1 students regarding Fall 2020.  You are now able to take your classes online from home and not lose your F-1 status.  That means that I do not have to terminate your SEVIS record IF you enroll in online classes from back home.  I hope that you will consider this when making your plans for Fall 2020.  

If you plan to return to campus, classes will be a combination of in-person, hybrid (both in-person and online) and online.  Regardless of whether you will be remote or in-person, you still need to take a minimum of 12 credits as an undergraduate student and 9 credits as a graduate student to maintain your full-time status.  

Those of you who still plan to take a leave of absence for Fall 2020 and not enroll in any classes, I will still have to terminate your SEVIS record since you will not be in attendance.  We can request that your record be activated for Spring 2021, subject to SEVP approval. 

I will be contacting you next week for confirmation of your plans for Fall 2020 so that I can update your records accordingly.

For now, this is great news!!!

Take care, stay well and safe!

Debbi